Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Judge Sotomayor Hearing


One of the major headlines in news recently is the appointment of Judge Sotomayor by President Barack Obama, and what this means for the Supreme Court Justice. Of all the reasons that I have heard why she should not be confirmed, the one that stands out the most is her stance on the Second Amendment of the Constitution. This amendment gives all American citizens the right to bear arms. Her statement was that this Amendment is a federal and fundamental right, but states and local governments can exercise reasonable restrictions to this right when deemed necessary. This scares many people into thinking that she has the power to take your right away, but this is not the case. This statement is already in place in the example that a convicted felon is not allowed to have a gun. I do not know how you feel, but if someone is a convicted felon that has committed crimes such as armed robbery, or possibly worse, that they are not allowed to purchase a gun when they get out of prison. I feel this is an extreme case where you have lost your right to bear arms through your own actions. I feel in now way that she would allow any state to infringe on your right to bear arms if you are a law abiding citizen. I am not stating that I have made my final decision on whether she is the right person for the job, but I do believe that the Second Amendment is not a valid argument to her confirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment